Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Results Are In - D'oh!

This is probably rehashing something that you great leaders are already acutely aware of, but I’ve just been reflecting on it for the past couple of days, attempting to “test” my own leadership skills. So I'll spew.

Jack Lowe Jr. (TD) said once that the role of leadership is to serve, and the test is whether people grow. So I’ve been running through my grid over the past couple of days all of the great people that I get to serve, wondering if I have had any impact on them, wondering if in any way they have grown in their ability to lead themselves and others. Are they well able to lead themselves and to serve others as a direct result of how I led and served them.

. . .

Since being in this role for that past 6 years, I’ve “subjectively” (ha!) concluded the following.

That I’ve significantly screwed up about 13 people, and significantly impacted about 20 people. Everyone else fits somewhere between those two points (somewhere around 120, including the key volunteer leaders within my reach).

. . .

They’re coming for me! !

(Meaning those I’m accountable to, and meaning that my record sucks!)

I know this is highly subjective and I’m having a little fun here, but it’s a great thing for me to think about. It drives me towards my staff in new ways every time I reflect on my ability to serve them well. For the past two years I have begun to dream big dreams for the individuals on my staff. Not for the purpose of imposing those dreams on them, but to help me see high value in every person, and to further fuel me in finding creative ways to serve and develop them as individuals.

How about your leadership "test" results?

2 comments:

  1. Tough question. Good test.

    Let's see - 6 years of leadership in WM; lives screwed up = 6; lives impacted = 13; neutral = 40. My best guess, anyway.

    At home, the results totally depend on the day. Some days I'm sure that I've had a positive impact on 6 people. Other days, I'm sure I've ruined them all!

    (My tone here is also more along the lines of having fun than self-condemnation.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know you can laugh with me. Better days are coming!

    ReplyDelete